Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Chicago to LA

So it's Wednesday 18 June at 11.30am and currently sat in this Brazilian cafe in Koreatown in LA, sounds quite surreal but then again it sums up my diverse taste in men. Just had an acai bowl as a healthy breakfast. For those of you who have never had one or even heard of it, I recommend next time you see it, ask to try frozen blended acai. It's a Brazilian berry that is high in antioxidants frozen and is very good for you. An acai bowl is the frozen berry blended, sometimes with fruit and almond or soy milk to a dark purple/brown paste, topped with such items such as sliced fruit, granola, bee pollen, chocolate nibs and honey to name a few. You commonly find them in health cafés or juice shops so watch out, it's a great meal and helps to lose weight. Anyhow I'm sat here waiting for my friend. I'm staying with Michelangelo, just like the teenage mutant ninja turtle, to wake up and myself, michaelangelo and another friend are headed to the beach. Which beach, no idea, maybe Santa Monica or Venice. 


Chicago

Having been to Chicago twice before, I have to say each time I go I love the city more and more. It's big, clean, friendly and beautiful. I was lucky enough to stay with a couple friends that lived overlooking the river downtown in a big new high rise. This bitch (talking bout myself in a third person) loves a bougie (slang for fancy) lifestyle but this apartment and building was something I can only dream of right now. A doorman building, living on the 30th floor with apartment wide balcony overlooking downtown. In the building a giant outdoor swimming pool, indoor jacuzzi, steam room and sauna and a gym as good as a commercial gym. I was in heaven. Over 3 days, I exercised, ate and spent time with my friends and their dog frank, the most amazing dog that snores louder than my dad and cuddles more than a stuffed teddy bear. I had no intentions to explore the city as much as to relax with my friends and enjoy their luxurious lifestyle. 

One day I met up for lunch with Suzanne, a girl I had met over 10 years ago before I even got to Disney world and caught up over lunch at a place XOCO. Anyone visiting, I recommend it's a great lunch spot. Mexican place with unique Mexican style sandwiches, soups n salads. It's a great change from chipotle and opened my a well known chef. I met my friend Felipe after and watched the opening World Cup game at a bar with a few beers. It's such a strange but great feeling and it was at this point where since I started travelling did I really feel free to come and go wherever I wanted. It's funny how these things hit you at random points in time. It may had been the sangria and three beers speaking but I felt great!!! 


Bad Haircut

Shortly after the game, slightly inebriated, (don't even know if I spelt that right but there's no red line underneath so yay) I felt it was time to get the bush chopped, my haircut just to clarify. So the closest barbershop was directly opposite the bar we watched the football in, called sports clips! Never heard of before but a chain that focuses on sports fans to watch their favorite game whilst getting their haircut. Not giving a shit about sports at this time I just went in. Big mistake lol, obviously the concept was more of a factor than the haircut. The fading between the lengths was as straight as the last Brazilian penis that I saw, it was so wonky. However, their was a benefit of being taken to a dark back room where I was hosed down in a massage chair and then back massaged with this Daffy Duck looking device. Whilst tranquil and vulnerable, the barbershop lady asked me if I wanted to upgrade my package to an MVP. To those unaware, in American football, MVP stands for most valuable player. At this point in this dark room with a wonky haircut as she hosed me, I stuck with the $2 hooker package and scurried on my way. Having worked in hospitality most my life I still tipped well. I'm a sucker for tipped positions, but as long as I can see you've tried, that's what matters:/


That fucking baby!!! 

Another fun experience was going to see the movie Maleficent. Overall a decent movie, very Disney, fairy tale but the astonishing factor was this one family, at 9pm that had a baby in the theater. The baby continued to make noise throughout the theater, and the family didn't leave. People sat in front began to movie one by one to the front of the theater leaving an empty row. Finally one lady politely said 'I think it's unfair for everyone that you bring a child that continues to make noise." The mother replies, "why don't you just move." So did the lady as she joined the other individuals that abandoned their perfect seats for the cheap seats. Quite amused as well as annoyed, the whole baby drama did take my focus from the movie but the funniest part of the whole movie experience was when the mother, finally defeated, left the theater. A sigh of relief was present throughout the room. 2 minutes later, another baby starts crying!!!! The gasps of absolute disbelief was running wild at the disbelief that there were two unfortunate gremlins. Not even Angelina Jolie could create such a reaction as this family had. As the movie came to an end, you could see as the lights rose slightly and everyone had turned to bear witness to this unearthly creature that had given birth to these spawns of satin, and wanted to give the look of disgust just to show as a symbol of their disapproval. It's like that time when you are driving behind that slow incompetent driver, and when you finally get that opportunity to overtake, you stare so obviously with the look of death at that driver who most likely is old and decrepid and can't even see the road, just in hope that they see your sour faced look and acknowledge that they were driving bad. Gotta love the way we communicate in today's society lol. 

Overall Chicago was a great time to relax and catch up with my friends and hosts, joe, Felipe and frank and I thank them very much for having me for those few days. I look forward to seeing them in Columbus OH, in the near future.


Los Angeles

So having spent a few days in LA, I have to say I love it!! So many people in the past have said they don't like it on LA and it's dangerous. Bullshit. Yeah there are sketchy places but the key to LA is know people who live here that know where to go. It's great for a few days to go eat out, shop, beach, see the houses, and the main areas such as Hollywood, Beverley hills, Venice beach, Malibu, Santa Monica. But one thing is you do need a car. Thankfully I have had some amazing friends who have driven me around, thank you  Paul Lee, Chris Henry, Jude and Carlos, without you guy I would not had seen half as much as you have been able to show me. And thank you Michaelangelo for letting me stay with you.

I recommend going to Koreatown. Lots of great restaurants and people. From Korean BBQ to bubble tea, all the cafés here are great inside. Far more comfortable with lots of couches, the Koreans really know how to do it. 

Also a place called the Grove, an outdoor mall win lots of restaurants and market style food stalls, it's a great place to go for dinner and hang out. I highly recommend going there too. 

Overall, I live Beverley hills. I was especially excited to see all of Lisa Banderpumps restaurants. Couldn't afford them on this travel but next time. West Hollywood is extremely gay but I love the feel. The vibe of LA is similar in the fact that anything can happen. With so many celebrities and something going on every night, it's a place that has something for everyone, but on the other hand it is a lot slower and relaxed compared to NYC. The people are nice, haven't met too many new new people here but from who I have met they are nice but there is a vibe of superficial and status here. We will see tonight when I go and explore more. I did really love going to Santa Monica pier at night, I channeled my inner childhood imagination and thought I was in The Lost Boys Movie. It really is a place where you can really see any movie star, it's a fun factor.

So right now I'm gonna leave and head to Hollywood to see the stars on the ground. It's took me two different days to write this so it's actually the next day now and I just saw England lose as I finish writing this, booooo! Tomorrow we go to San Diego, very excited bout that and then on Monday Hawaii! Stay tuned







No comments:

Post a Comment