Monday, June 16, 2014

The End Of The Beginning

    


So as I begin to write this, I find myself sat on a plane en route to Chicago, second flight of the day from Charlotte. Today I left my parents after 2 long but lovely weeks with them traveling the Carolina's. It's been a great 2 weeks, having gone to Charlotte, Charleston, Hilton Head Island, Savannah and Asheville. It was a great opportunity, not only to spend time with my parents but to get my fat ass into shape. The previous month I had spent in France, the UK and Ireland. Believing these weeks were going to be my "health initiative" after a grueling 4 months bartending and lapsing in any dietary or physical exercise, it rather turned out to be the opposite, I gained a stone (14 pounds for those Americans). From a week in France eating bread and cheese, to back in Bournemouth (my hometown in England for those unaware) eating all those meals I crave whilst away in NYC. But it didn't stop there. I managed to waddle my way around Glasgow, Carlisle, Newcastle, Manchester, Belfast and Dublin and stuff my face with every bad food imaginable and drink more than an alcoholic at his prime. However I will say I fuckin enjoyed every minute of it. I had such a laugh and was great to catch up with so many people I had not seen in ages. Thank you so much to all those that took care of me and showed me around. You know who you are and will be mentioned in the credits:). Thankfully during my time in the Carolina's, I managed to regain control of my health and lose 14 pounds in a few weeks so back in the fit train.   


The Graduation  


After a great month in the UK I returned back to New York City for a week for my graduation. It was great to return for a short period, enough time to make me realize how much I love the hustle, the bustle, the vibe and the opportunity NYC has to offer.    The graduation was great. Graduating in America was one thing, but NYC! It had always been my dream to live in America but to actually graduate university in NYC was beyond a dream come true. Unaware of how the days events would play out, my parents, friends and I proceeded to Madison square garden for the ceremony after a wonderful lunch in The Park (Not Central Park, but a restaurant called the Park on 20th and 10th. I recommend to anyone visiting or living there). At the garden there were 100s of graduates flocking outside the auditorium, so many I couldn't believe, and turned out to be over 1200 under grads and grads walking that day. In our cap and gowns we marched in and listened to many speeches from top dogs at the school as well as my friend Esther, valedictorian and an amazing friend, congrats and amazing speech again. I was a little upset because in movies from when I was a kid, I had seen graduations where kids would walk up stage and collect a scroll, have their name called, family roar and I would wave elegantly at the crowd like miss congeniality, and at the end we would throw up our caps and then the movie would go to credits. But to my disbelief, this was far from the truth. Maybe in the 90's when A.C Slater (my man crush) graduated high school in saved by the bell but not today people. The only fun factor was at the end when confetti was shot at us like we had won a wrestling match against Hulk Hogan in an 80's wrestling match against Andre the Giant. I did chuckle when the back music was the same as illuminations at Epcot in Walt Disney World ( for those of you who worked we me at Disney). After we gathered with more friends at my old job Seven Bistro for drinks and apps. Thank you to everyone who joined for that momentous occasion. And sorry for those I forgot to invite :/ .   



Purpose Of My Blog


So I decided to write a blog for a couple reasons, firstly, to keep whoever wants to of my friends informed of my travels and stories. Secondly, as a diary to myself when I'm old to look back on. What am I going to write about? Well I hope to consist not just my worldly explorations but to hopefully teach you, the reader, new things bout other cultures out there, share the knowledge and the laughs. And on that note, anyone who knows me knows I have awkward funny moments which I'll be sure to share and highlight. As you have already heard, food is a big topic of conversation for me so there will be plenty of that too throughout.  I intend to update my blog on every flight between destinations so stay tuned. And I will also end with a coming schedule just incase you may be in the next city around the corner. This blog isn't just for friends but also new people who may wanna have a new read once in a while so tell your friends to follow my blog too, the more the merrier.  



Who The Fuck Am I?  


For those of you who don't know me too well, I'm Adam, self proclaimed British homosexual that usually resides in NYC however, after recently graduating obviously, has decided to take a few months out to travel the world whilst I'm a mere young gogetter. Thanks to my friend Allan, who has graced me with his flying benefits, I am able to travel standby for the year for a very low price for each flight. So for those of you who may think I'm a rich ass mother fucker, I'm not, I just have great friends in great places and worked my ass of bartending in NYC for the past few months to fuel my travels. 



What's Next?  



So as I eat my salty nuts (no pun intended) and as mentioned at the beginning I am heading to Chicago for 3 nights to visit my friends Felipe and Joe, and Frank, the best bulldog ever. Also we will be accompanied by Allan and to catch up with an old friend Suzanne that I used to work with at Disney 10 years ago. By the way, I'm only 28 for those of you thinking I'm an old git (for those Americans, git means bugger, bugger means twat, twat means.... Oh forget it, you won't get it). I've been to Chicago 2 times before so it's nothing new but good to catch up. Following Chicago I will be flying to LA on Friday for a week, San Diego for a weekend after that and then Hawaii for 5 nights. Very exciting stuff, it makes my bum go tight. So stay tuned for the next part to my travels across the USA. Below is my first awkward moment that happened in Charlotte, NC, thought I would share, I have no self dignity ( don't even know what dignity means but like the word and hope it fits for what I'm trying to say)   



The Fall  



Trying to get back into running, I motivated myself to run the streets of Charlotte. Excited to finally get outside and burn a few calories, I went down to the bellman and asked where's a good running route. He handed me a piece of paper with a couple runs of different magnitudes. I decided upon the over adventurous, desperate to lose weight quick 7 mile first run and stood outside in the blistering heat of North Carolina, studied the map and set off into the unknown. Comfortably I jogged through the first two blocks when suddenly a "power song" aired my headphones that set me of into a frantic out of control pace. As an avid runner I saw no danger in fast swooping speeds through city centers however after 10 years of running, with no trips or falls, it finally happened. Not just a catch yourself trip, that would be embarrassing to the average walker, but a fall blown mighty fall that was caught by my right forearm and shoulder on concrete pavement followed by my eyebrow. One man sat at a bus stop, the witness so to speak yelled as if it was the final miss of penalties in the World Cup. "Are you ok man." Yeah I'm fine I said as I pull myself up instantly out of shock, look back to smile as if to say " you saw nothing, don't embarrass me anymore than I already have." And continue to jog on. Two steps forward I see blood drip in front of me from my head and blood pouring from my arms. I stop on the spot. "Oh shit" I say to myself out loud and turn around to walk back to the hotel. The witness says "they should fix those pavements you know." I say in my mind, "shut the fuck up old man. It's bad enough as it is, I don't need a reminder." Bless, his heart was in the right place. As I walked the measly two and half blocks I had so shamefully ran of my 7 mile first run, I was welcomed with many strange gasps and awes as if they thought I had been beaten up or run over. In some instances I felt obliged to say "yeah, I fell over" just to give reason to my appearance, because falling over sounds much better than run over, I'm such a dumbass. As I reached my final destination, the hotel, an hour earlier than anticipated I was treated by well dressed people on their way to weddings. I was home. I waited outside with fear of staining their well kept carpet with blood until the bellman that only 2 minutes ago had given me directions came out and went "oh fuck, what did you do man?" in his most American accent. "Let me get the manager" he went inside and outcome the manager with a roll of tissues far greater than a teenage boy needs when masturbating rigorously for hours in his bedroom. He wiped my head like a mum does to their infant when he has a trip. In this instance it was a full grown man in a suite. He escorts me to the bathroom where I am able to witness the massacre that is my face and arm. (Only joking wasn't that bad but blood was dripping). Arming me with supplies and ointments from the hotels first aid box I went back to my room. What a first run!!  Finally landed in Chicago so off I go into the unknown. Catch up you all real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment